Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Now You're In New York


See, even the ELDERLY dress better than I do. 

I suppose this post is long overdue.... 3 weeks over due to be exact. This is the thing about moving to a new city, everything feels so overwhelmingly exciting and the idea of putting aside some time to blog seems like a chore.  I know when things slow down and I start to feel like this is my new home and not some whirl wind adventure of exploring and discovering the next big exciting pub/shop/restaurant/band, coming back to blogging about fashion and life will feel like coming home. Until then, Im sorry I have been far from interesting.

Here's what is interesting about moving to the "Fashion Capital of North America"... everything you once deemed "stylish" and "risky" is now resembling more along the lines of "dowdy" and "boring". Riding the subway always provides these moments of clarity... when 3/4 of the women on the train are in towering high heels (they walk ALL day in those things??) and fur jackets you start to feel a little like the girl next door in your flat boots (complete with blisters from all the trekking) and wool coat. As a girl that has always taken to fashion like a scientist does to Darwin, it's a bit disturbing to realize everything you once thought was stylish, only applies to ALBERTA, but is not so cutting edge here in New York. So, there you have my issue... everyday, getting dressed feels like a test of my creative self - how far can I push the envelope? Which heels can I walk 25 city blocks in with turning my feet into beef carpaccio?

Anyway, I guess I'm excited for my future fashion. As of right now I will continue to ask Ryan "is this too Brooklyn for me to wear in Manhattan?" and him to roll his eyes and go back to watching NINE HOURS of football. Eff.

2 comments:

  1. miss you so much, m! gonna start using: 'is this too brooklyn'in etown. xox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think if i asked raymond whether something was 'too brooklyn to wear in manhattan' he'd just divorce me (that's why i only ask my girlfriends!)

    ReplyDelete