Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Calgary Folk

shhh 016

Nothing marks summer quite like outdoor music festivals. Like clockwork discussions of Folk Fest start circling among our friends in about April and then start becoming a central part of most conversations and summer plans. Never do we book a vacation on that weekend, and people travel home from around Canada just to par take in that one quintessential summer experience. I have been going to Edmonton Folk Fest since I was old enough to walk and subsequently dance, and I dont think I have missed a summer since that first year. Much of my growing up happen on that hill; developing my music tastes, drinking tastes, dancing skills and, of course, my crafting in the Imagination Market tent - elbow deep in colourful crafting supplies.

This year marked my first Calgary Folk Fest experience, despite it not being the Folk Fest I know and love, I had such a great time. The music was amazing, many bands that are on constant rotation on my i pod were jamming in workshops together(Timber Timbre! Ohbijou). The Beer gardens overlooked stages so you could drink a beer and not miss out on all the action. After much toe tapping in the 30 above heat, a quick dip into the adjacent Bow River provided the perfect relief. I saw many a new band and quickly fell in love (Laura Marling!). Sure, I had my heart broken a few times when I would miss a show, but it was worth it for such a great weekend.

A few photographic memories to fill the self induced black holes in my brain;

shhh 002
Marlis and I were really thinking when we bought this boxed wine to sneak in the bladder of red. It's very hard being this sneaky/classy/economic, but I think we succeeded.

shhh 001

shhh 014
Danielle has her first Folking experience ever... she forgets to wear sunscreen.

shhh 010
We test out a theory of how I would look blonde. They really do just have more fun.

shhh 009
We pack lunches to be healthy, but then end up buying 2 giant bags of chips and finish them between 3 of us.

shhh 005
We hang out in Beer gardens in the evening, I almost fall into the Porta Potty while trying to put on pants when the sun goes down. Thankfully, the damage is only towards my ego and alcohol intolerance.

The best part being, the Edmonton Folk Fest isn't for another 2 weeks, which is ample time to recover from this one and get my hippie sway ready for another epic weekend!



1 comment: