Tuesday, July 13, 2010

So Sorry



andreag

first 2 images, Marie Claire Aug 2010 via Studded Hearts , last image google search

"How's it in the horse killing capital of Canada? Seeing a lot of horse meat on the menus this time of summer?"

This was the phone call I had with my (picture a tall Irish farmer) grandfather yesterday. Never the type of man to let something slide, especially when it comes to the Calgary-Edmonton rivalry. All the news coverage on the Calgary Stampede and the 4 horses that died in the past few days have really lit a fire under his ass. I have lived in this city 2.5 years and I have always refused to go to any of the Stampede "activities" for this exact reason. I love being from the Prairies and the vastness and beauty associated with it, but I can not stay quiet about the mistreatment of animals for our entertainment due to the belief that it's our "culture" therefore anything goes.

For this reason I dedicate this post to the beauty that is the horse - not just an animal for racing, bucking, and pulling.

No comments:

Post a Comment