Sunday, July 11, 2010

Southern Comfort

janisjoplin1
google image

When I was freshly 18 (the legal drinking age here in Alberta) I went through the usual poor drinking choices. Started off with Tequila shots with lemons and salt licks, moved on to Sour Puss and 7 up (yikes) and of course horrible, watered down draft beer (Cowboys 75 cent Thursdays, anyone?) Around my early 20's I started experimenting with Southern Comfort. The SoCo and ginger was a staple in my weekly drinking habits. Being in my early 20's and feeling mighty proud of myself I was out for dinner with my mum and I ordered her a SoCo and Ginger at the bar and brought it back to her, grin on my face. She promptly informed me in a hushed whisper associated with WASPy ladies, that only "questionably promiscuous women" (read:whores) drink Southern Comfort - and so my Southern Comfort drinking ways were sent into a quick halt. (I moved onto, and still am on, the Vodka Soda Lime train. Albeit much less frequently than those glory days)

Anyway, not too long ago I came across this photo of the lovely and ever talented Miss Janis Joplin. I recognize daily that I was born in the wrong era, and feel a real connection and desire to be a 70's flower child - so this photo spoke to me about general awesomeness... and then! And then I notice she's drinking SoCo (straight, from the bottle may I add) So there you go, mum, only whores and Janis Joplin drink SoCo so that makes it infinitely cooler and badass. SoCo Ginger & Limes for the rest of my summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment