Wednesday, October 13, 2010

All I Can Do


images via Livet Hemma

It`s officially official... R and I are moving to the Big Apple!

To try to offset the panic attacks I get thinking about packing my life up in boxes and scrubbing baseboards until my hands start to bleed, my current focus has temporarily shifted from the Fashion Blogs to the Design ones. My inspiration and excitement to re do a (small) space and start from scratch (we are selling all our belongings) keeps me balanced and away from sitting in a pile of old, unopened bills and sobbing (what the hell do you do with old bills? Can I really not just recycle them? Should I really be terrified of identity theft?)

Anyway, enter this blog I found called LIVET HEMMA which is basically a (very beautiful) promotional blog for Ikea - albeit in Swedish, so I have no idea of what they are saying. Now, I'm generally not a big proprietor of `temporary` furniture made of particle board that doesn't last the test of time and is far from environmental - but there is something to be said towards the convenience of being to able to start from scratch in one store and not go poor doing so (also, they deliver! No boxes on the subway!) and knowing I can find some great, creative ideas for storage is a relief. Having said all that, I do still feel the pang of nostalgia attached to vintage pieces and their ability to make everything else just shine, and hell, they are made from wood so my fleeting heart can just paint that shit when I get bored! In my mind, it`s just like fashion - the use of old and new, highs and lows and creating a diverse, eclectic look is really important and makes for visual interest. However, my irrational fears of bed bugs riding into my home in the cushion of a chair will make this look difficult, but I'm definitely up for the challenge.

Here are some other note-worthy design blogs worth a gander:

Adore
Coco & Kelley
This Is Glamorous
Apartment Therapy
Design Sponge
Loony

2 comments:

  1. old bills? you burn them. Come over to our fire pit. We have a huge stack to burn too (and some exciting news of our own to share).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your upcoming move! That is so exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete